Thursday, February 15, 2007

"I've got the whole world, in my hands"

During a life abroad, I once hopped on a rather vacant Daejeon city bus; however, there was a group of 8 year old girls about 15 feet in front of me. As the bus chugged along, I noticed one of them kept turning around and staring back at me with blind admiration. Growing innovative, I decided to try my luck with what apparently is the most universal game in the world and so I mouthed the Korean words 'ga wee, ba wee, bo' (Paper, Rock, Scissors). I don't know what was the trigger, either the reading of lips or seeing a hand in a fist, but a connection was made; instantaneously, we were caught up in an intense match. In hindsight, it boggles the mind that two strangers, from different backgrounds, generations, ethnicity's, who speak a different language could find sport and bond with each other, at a distance, on a bus.

No comments: